Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Carry chambered? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283455)

danbaum 11-11-2010 09:47

Carry chambered?

I have been a revolver guy my whole life, and just switched to a Glock 19 after getting two days of excellent training and realizing I could shoot the Glock better (to say nothing of more copiously) than my old Detective Special. I have a CCW and am carrying the Glock in a Galco Stow-n-Go IWB holster. Here's my situation: Carrying the pistol with a round in the chamber freaks me out. I worry that my flesh pushing against the soft holster will somehow depress that little trigger safety and nudge the trigger back. I find myself walking around with my hips thrust foward, flinching away from the gun. Actually, I only did that for about ten minutes before retreating to a men's room, unchambering the round, and putting the gun back in its holster with a full mag but empty chamber. I could carry Israeli style, I suppose, and draw-and-rack if it comes to that, but I just saw a training video in which a woman carrying Israeli style would have been killed by a knife had the attack been real. I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.

FriscoCHL 11-11-2010 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbaum (Post 16280910)
Am I being silly?

Yes. If you carry in a decent holster that covers the trigger, you will be fine. just be contious of clothing and your finger while holstering. its the same thing as carrying your DA revolver with the hammer down.

I carry my 19 and 26 ready to go, with one in the pipe. and have never thought twice about it.

eta: welcome to the forum!!

Dingus 11-11-2010 09:57

To gain confidence, do this:

Take your G19 and holster to the range.

Place your loaded, chambered G19 into the holster (not attached to your belt).

Point the holstered G19 downrange at a target and try to fire it without removing it from the holster.

-gunut- 11-11-2010 10:01

You just have to get comfortable with it. Carry without one in the pipe for a while to get used to it. Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. With any decent holster you will be fine.

Glock27NY 11-11-2010 10:04

Ive carried different glocks with a round chambered in iwb/owb holsters and never had a problem with it. If soft iwb holster freaks you out then get a nice, quality leather or kydex holster. You could also chamber a snap cap, holster it, do your daily routine around the house and then check if trigger was pulled. BTW.. Glocks have a 5.5lbs trigger pull so I doubt it will discharge from your love handle rubbing on it.

redbaron007 11-11-2010 10:04

It's a mental block you will have to outgrow. Just remember, about the only way you can deactivate the safety mechanism is with your finger. Keep your finger off of it and your should be good to go.

Find a holster that protects the trigger and you won't have any problems. You'll be fine! :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

Agent6-3/8 11-11-2010 10:11

Yes, you're being silly. However, it is not unusual for some new to guns like Glocks to be concerned about carrying a round chambered. (just like some people freakout about a cocked and locked 1911) Rest assured the gun will not go off and shoot you in the ass.

The basic truth of the matter is that a gun not carried in ready to fire condition is nothing more than a paperweight. No matter how fast one is, the time it takes to charge the weapon would be much better spent putting rounds down range and into your attacker. Trying to chamber a round at the moment of truth is much like trying to put your seatbelt on when you see you are about to crash.

My advise is to carry your Glock around you house without a round in the chamber until you get comfortable with it. Until you are comfortable carrying your Glock chambered, stick with your wheelguns for CCW.

danbaum 11-11-2010 10:13

Thank you!

All terrific replies. Thank you very much.

Adam5 11-11-2010 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingus (Post 16280962)

Point the holstered G19 downrange at a target and try to fire it without removing it from the holster.

This is good advice.

If your concern is the gun firing while holstered, this will alleviate that concern.

danbaum 11-11-2010 10:14

This is a particularly great idea. Thank you very much.

hardcorp 11-11-2010 10:20

If you don't you're doing it wrong.

dregotglock 11-11-2010 10:25

silly? NO - any responsible gun owner should have some reservation until enough information has been provided.

I personally have always carried glocks with one in the chamber. Never had any issues or concerns once I understood function of the glock safe action. Simply put - use safe gun handling skills and you will be fine.

justdriftin 11-11-2010 10:29

Quote:

Or you can place your unloaded G19 into the holster, go to a safe place, and try to dry fire it while still in the holster.

Cream Soda Kid 11-11-2010 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock27NY (Post 16281002)
Ive carried different glocks with a round chambered in iwb/owb holsters and never had a problem with it. If soft iwb holster freaks you out then get a nice, quality leather or kydex holster. You could also chamber a snap cap, holster it, do your daily routine around the house and then check if trigger was pulled. BTW.. Glocks have a 5.5lbs trigger pull so I doubt it will discharge from your love handle rubbing on it.

Ditto this!

Sonnytoo 11-11-2010 10:47

Quote:

Let's make it simpler. Do it at home. No rounds in the gun at all. Just draw the slide back to make sure it's cocked with the trigger forward. Then stick it in your holster and try to "click" the trigger.

Sonnytoo

hamster 11-11-2010 10:49

I had the same concerns when I first started to carry my Glock. I'd recommend a Hard Kydex holster like a comp-tac infidel. It completely wraps the pistol in hard plastic so there is no chance of anything flexing into the trigger guard. Not only that, but the holster allows you to "re-holster" off body which also greatly reduces the odds of clothing or something getting caught in the trigger guard.

I don't like the generic soft holsters I've seen.

fuzzy03cls 11-11-2010 10:55

I never carried a gun before my G27. I carried it un-chambered for a few weeks till I was comfortable. Then I chambered a round. A few weeks went by & I realized I was safe. Carry chambered ever since.
I have no problems shooting a few light hoops, kneeling on my back under a desk, going up & down ladders, playing catch, golfing, hitting in a batting cage, & hell I even bowled a full game while carrying.

chad1972 11-11-2010 10:56

I also felt the same way. I used one of those saf-t blocks that can be pushed out of the trigger real easy. I now carry without it, with one in the pipe. As long as you use some sort of holster that covers the trigger, and keep your finger out of the trigger area, leave the 19 in the holster, unless its needed, you wont have a problem. These Glocks have been beat to death and not once has the gun " fired " without some sort of trigger manipulation.

cole 11-11-2010 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbaum (Post 16280910)
... I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.

Silly? No. It can take time to get comfortable with a chambered Glock. Some folks carry Condition 3 ("Israeli" style). Just know it won't fire in the holster or until you pull the trigger. It's like a revolver with a lighter trigger.

Chambered while holstered? Yes, I do. Always.

Enjoy your Glock.

CrossEyedShooter 11-11-2010 11:15

I just grabbed a shirt from the laundry pile. I ran a corner thru the trigger and around the other side up the grip. Holstered the Glock like that into kydex holster.

Pulling the shirt out hard fired the empty weapon. Pulling with same force as a shirt that moves while walking - no trigger depression.

Any other scenario (i.e. shirt only partially thru the trigger in various positions) will not depress the trigger.

The morale of the story - don't tuck your shirt into the glock trigger, and you should be fine. I think that anyone with an IWB holster is naturally wary of clothing in the holster, so I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

As far as my love handles - not an issue - Kydex holsters that cover the trigger mean no amount of chub will have any hope of getting lodged into the trigger guard & depressing the trigger. NOTHING can depress the trigger on a weapon in kydex, unless you tuck an object into the holster with the pistol, or you pull the gun out of the holster.