Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   My new AR15 is on the way! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282914)

DeltaNu1142 11-09-2010 14:30

My new AR15 is on the way!

Christmas came early--my brother finished building my AR15:

http://imgur.com/gtwNxl.jpg

My first question is, what length rail is that? I'm going to start looking for rail covers... aside from several boxes of ammo, what other goodies should I be looking into?!?

RMTactical 11-09-2010 14:38

Looks like a 7" Carbine length rail.

Nice AR15!

DeltaNu1142 11-09-2010 15:13

He let me know he's not sending that mag. He's painted several of his own mags with stenciled numbers to tell them apart; he's apparently been putting a lot of rounds downrange lately & his springs are getting weak. 7" rail, confirmed... he's also recommending the Magpul AFG, but I'm not so sure.

Tucson_1 11-09-2010 17:13

I have the classic question before making any suggestions... What is your intended use for this rifle? Home protection, range toy, etc???

mixflip 11-09-2010 19:09

I'd loose the big, bulky, heavy and basically antiquated rear iron sight. I'd get a lighter LaRue version if you must have the mil-spec style knobs though. Or if your on a budget, get a Magpul MBUS. They're light and work well.

It looks like you want to use it as a SHTF, close quarters, HD, range fun gun? So a red dot optic would be a good investment also...just my 2 cents.

den888 11-14-2010 22:51

Very nice !

mvician 11-14-2010 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 (Post 16272578)
... he's also recommending the Magpul AFG, but I'm not so sure.

The 7" carbine rail isn't the ideal platform for what the AFG was designed for.

Bushflyr 11-14-2010 23:42

The goodie you should have been looking into was research. Then you would have known to get a midlength gas system with a 16" barrel. Better luck next time. Send it to ADCO and have it cut to a 12.5" and SBR it.

DeltaNu1142 11-15-2010 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixflip (Post 16273641)
I'd loose the big, bulky, heavy and basically antiquated rear iron sight. I'd get a lighter LaRue version if you must have the mil-spec style knobs though. Or if your on a budget, get a Magpul MBUS. They're light and work well.
It looks like you want to use it as a SHTF, close quarters, HD, range fun gun? So a red dot optic would be a good investment also...just my 2 cents.

That's pretty much it. This wouldn't be the first thing I grab in a HD situation. It's a playtoy for the range. First to go is the carry handle once I can pick up some optics. And I was thinking I like the Troy Industries flip-ups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushflyr (Post 16300092)
The goodie you should have been looking into was research. Then you would have known to get a midlength gas system with a 16" barrel. Better luck next time. Send it to ADCO and have it cut to a 12.5" and SBR it.

My brother configured it. He manufactures these rifles for a living, and if it's alright I'll take his input over yours--but your patronizing tone is always welcome. Like nuts dangling from a pickup's bumper or those stick-on fender vents on Chrysler sedans, it helps with figuring out the kinda guy you are.

glock22357 11-15-2010 11:27

Quote:

Ease back player.

Just because it isn't what you would get, doesn't mean it isn't a damn fine rifle. In fact it's a clone of an M4A1, it just needs optics and a VFG, AN/PEQ2, M203, you name it!!

NeverMore1701 11-15-2010 13:45

Quote:

I think I'm not out of line by saying... Butt out.

To the OP, enjoy your rifle!

raven11 11-15-2010 14:15

good looking rifle OP!

1811guy 11-15-2010 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 (Post 16300613)
That's pretty much it. This wouldn't be the first thing I grab in a HD situation. It's a playtoy for the range. First to go is the carry handle once I can pick up some optics. And I was thinking I like the Troy Industries flip-ups.

My brother configured it. He manufactures these rifles for a living, and if it's alright I'll take his input over yours--but your patronizing tone is always welcome. Like nuts dangling from a pickup's bumper or those stick-on fender vents on Chrysler sedans, it helps with figuring out the kinda guy you are.

Don't listen to the haters, that is a damned nice rifle and your brother knows what he is doing. The carry handle with A2 sights will do you fine for the present. I have built many rifles that way for friends/family until they figure out what they want for optics. Once you decide on the optic, then pic up a Troy BUIS with it. The important thing is you can take your gun to the range in its present condition.

As far as accessories go, that is really going to depend on what you do with it. For the time being I would just get mags and ammo, then start saving for an optic. If you are leaning towards a defensive carbine, expect to pay $400-$500 for a decent red dot sight. An ACOG will cost double that. Once you have the optic, you can start looking at lights, VFG's and the like.

Congrats on the gun!

mjkeat 11-15-2010 22:53

[/QUOTE]My brother configured it. He manufactures these rifles for a living, and if it's alright I'll take his input over yours--but your patronizing tone is always welcome. Like nuts dangling from a pickup's bumper or those stick-on fender vents on Chrysler sedans, it helps with figuring out the kinda guy you are.[/QUOTE]

Those things get me every time. How about those brightly colored reflective balls old people have in their front yards? :supergrin:

The rifle is fine. I have a carbine that shoots as smooth as my midlengths. Nothing wrong with a carbine gas system. Theyve been keeping us all safe for years.

1811guy 11-15-2010 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 16305450)

Those things get me every time. How about those brightly colored reflective balls old people have in their front yards? :supergrin:

The rifle is fine. I have a carbine that shoots as smooth as my midlengths. Nothing wrong with a carbine gas system. Theyve been keeping us all safe for years.

They are called gazing balls, and they look awesome next to my yard gnomes and pink flamingoes thank you very much. No excuse me while I put a Calvin pissing on Chevy sticker above the No Fear sticker on my Dodge's back window.

mjkeat 11-15-2010 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1811guy2 (Post 16305473)
They are called gazing balls, and they look awesome next to my yard gnomes and pink flamingoes thank you very much. No excuse me while I put a Calvin pissing on Chevy sticker above the No Fear sticker on my Dodge's back window.

:rofl:Thats to much. Next someones going to go on about oversized rear wings and high performance parts stickers on bone stock Hyundas.

DeltaNu1142 11-16-2010 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock22357 (Post 16301758)
Just because it isn't what you would get, doesn't mean it isn't a damn fine rifle. In fact it's a clone of an M4A1, it just needs optics and a VFG, AN/PEQ2, M203, you name it!!

M4A1 clone is what I was shooting for--thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1811guy2 (Post 16305391)
Don't listen to the haters, that is a damned nice rifle and your brother knows what he is doing. The carry handle with A2 sights will do you fine for the present. I have built many rifles that way for friends/family until they figure out what they want for optics. Once you decide on the optic, then pic up a Troy BUIS with it. The important thing is you can take your gun to the range in its present condition.
As far as accessories go, that is really going to depend on what you do with it. For the time being I would just get mags and ammo, then start saving for an optic. If you are leaning towards a defensive carbine, expect to pay $400-$500 for a decent red dot sight. An ACOG will cost double that. Once you have the optic, you can start looking at lights, VFG's and the like.
Congrats on the gun!

Thanks! My brother won an ACOG in a company raffle, lucky SOB. I'd never wish hard times on my own family, but if he happens one day to need to unload a few things, maybe I can get one cheap :) I was going to start out with flip-ups, but he said no--get the A2 sights & worry about optics later. Again, as a HD gun it's not the first thing I'd go for, so I'll probably stop at optics, BUIS and a grip of some sort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1811guy2 (Post 16305473)

Well played :rofl:

RyanNREMTP 11-16-2010 14:21

Nice rifle. Keep it simple. If it ends up being a SHTF gun then you don't want to have too much on it to complicate things.

En9999 11-17-2010 03:42

Nice looking rifle. Just stick to the carry handle now until you figure out what optic you want.
Get some Pmags, ammo, and a decent sling, and start shooting.

dc2integra 11-21-2010 21:31

nice AR !