Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Kalashnikov Klub (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Saiga 12 Conversions (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200656)

LEAD 03-23-2010 13:07

Saiga 12 Conversions
 
What is the best way to go about getting a converted saiga 12. Is it best to buy one and convert it yourself, or would you save a lot of time just finding one already converted, or sending one in for someone to convert?

I know it seems like the bulk of people get a siaga and do the conversion themselves. The thing is sometimes I find after all the time and parts you put into a project like this, there may be a more lucrative alternative.

So if you didn't have a saiga, how would you go about ending up with a quality converted siaga 12. Links are appreciated.

jamesavery22 03-23-2010 13:21

My conversion write-up: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31499

Whether to you purchase one already converted or you do it yourself is completely up to you. No one else can tell you which is more viable for you. Forget how much time, tools, money you have, #1 question you should ask yourself is do you enjoy doing the work?

America is great. If you don't like doing something you can always find someone else who will take money to do it for you.

LEAD 03-23-2010 15:19

I would prefer to do th work myself, except for the fact that I'm a stickler for quality and I don't think I have a lot of extra time on my hands in the near future. So I don't know if i have the time to do a top-notch build. Thats why Im thinking best for me would be to buy a used one already converted, or have someone build one from a new stock rifle and send it to me in finished form.

I recall a while back someone was talking about who builds the best saigas and one site had an option for you to send in one to be converted, and another option to buy one of thier stock units and convert it to you the way you want. Anyone know the name of these guys.

Mabo 03-23-2010 15:36

Tromix is the guy you are thinking of. Just do a google search for "Tromix saiga", I'm sure it will pop up.

Glocker08 03-23-2010 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAD (Post 14993898)
What is the best way to go about getting a converted saiga 12. Is it best to buy one and convert it yourself, or would you save a lot of time just finding one already converted, or sending one in for someone to convert?

I know it seems like the bulk of people get a siaga and do the conversion themselves. The thing is sometimes I find after all the time and parts you put into a project like this, there may be a more lucrative alternative.

So if you didn't have a saiga, how would you go about ending up with a quality converted siaga 12. Links are appreciated.

Do the conversion yourself. It's not as difficult as you may think.You will save money plus learn a great deal as well. I'm in the middle of doing an S-12 conversion right now and I'm actually enjoying the experience. It will be quite rewarding when I'm finished knowing I did it myself.

The main thing to remember is take your time. Also, make absolutely sure you have all the parts you need before starting. Make a list,check it, and then check it again. There were a couple times when I forgot to order a certain part. Then I had to order it, and wait for it to be delivered before I could proceed with the conversion. That was a little frustrating.

Here are some helpful links.You should find everything you need there.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?.showtopic=40886?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....let/StoreFront

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php

Hope this helps. Good luck !

lilc 03-23-2010 18:58

Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics in Las Vegas (http://www.rifledynamics.com/) has converted three different Saiga 12 shotguns for me, and his work is painstaking and superb; Jim has also built several top-notch custom AKMs for me, and he really knows his way around Kalashnikov-pattern weapons. (IIRC, Rifle Dynamics tools up and converts a BIG batch of customers' S-12s semi-annually, so call him and get on the schedule.)

http://www.pbase.com/image/103317445.jpg

DaGroaner 03-23-2010 19:14

I'm very happy with Red Jacket Saiga .308 and Pistol.

http://www.redstick-firearms.com/fir.../firearms.html

Glocker08 03-23-2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilc (Post 14996173)
Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics in Las Vegas (http://www.rifledynamics.com/) has converted three different Saiga 12 shotguns for me, and his work is painstaking and superb; Jim has also built several top-notch custom AKMs for me, and he really knows his way around Kalashnikov-pattern weapons. (IIRC, Rifle Dynamics tools up and converts a BIG batch of customers' S-12s semi-annually, so call him and get on the schedule.)

http://www.pbase.com/image/103317445.jpg

lilc, those are some sweet S-12's you've got there,especially the one on top.What did they use to color in the F and S letters ?

Glocker08 03-23-2010 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesavery22 (Post 14993977)
My conversion write-up: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31499

Whether to you purchase one already converted or you do it yourself is completely up to you. No one else can tell you which is more viable for you. Forget how much time, tools, money you have, #1 question you should ask yourself is do you enjoy doing the work?

America is great. If you don't like doing something you can always find someone else who will take money to do it for you.

Wow,great write-up. Looks like you did a super job. That side folder looks sweet !

SKYWLKR 03-23-2010 21:40

I'm going to have to mention RedJacket.

They are about to build a bunch of standard converted S12 for $800 they will be distributed through Mississippi auto arms.

They can also convert yours into just about any thing you want.

For the price you could barely buy all the parts you need plus this is refinished.

Glocker08 03-23-2010 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYWLKR (Post 14997441)
I'm going to have to mention RedJacket.

They are about to build a bunch of standard converted S12 for $800 they will be distributed through Mississippi auto arms.

They can also convert yours into just about any thing you want.

For the price you could barely buy all the parts you need plus this is refinished.

Wow, really ?! Interesting. What kind of FCG,stock,grip, etc. do they use for a standard S-12 conversion ? What do they use to refinish them, Duracoat, Cerakote ?

g29cc 03-24-2010 06:31

Centerfire Systems has already converted S-12's for $800 as well.

LEAD 03-24-2010 06:43

Thank you guys for all the information, I really appreciate it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.