Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Please help. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155385)

Glockster_221 12-07-2009 05:18

Please help.

Hi. I'm a college student looking to get into reloading. Not only because I want to save money doing it, but it really does look like a lot of fun.

I'm on a very tight budget, but can save some money to start reloading. Any suggestions for a newb?

I will mainly be reloading handgun rounds, but want to one day load my own shotgun shells and rifle cartridges. But to start, I think 9mm rounds will suffice.

What is a very high quality, fairly efficient, affordable reloading press?

Also, what will I need to get started? Please throw out some ballpark prices.

Thanks everyone.

BigDog[RE] 12-07-2009 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glockster_221 (Post 14298577)
Hi. I'm a college student looking to get into reloading. Not only because I want to save money doing it, but it really does look like a lot of fun.

I'm on a very tight budget, but can save some money to start reloading. Any suggestions for a newb?

I will mainly be reloading handgun rounds, but want to one day load my own shotgun shells and rifle cartridges. But to start, I think 9mm rounds will suffice.

Thanks everyone.

You can find a lot of good info in the stickies at the top of this forum. Also the search button is a good friend to have...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

Colorado4Wheel 12-07-2009 08:56

Around $250 -$300 gets you the starter setup with a LCT and parts listed in the Sticky.

Glockster_221 12-07-2009 09:05

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check out the sticky in detail.

garyjandfamily 12-07-2009 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glockster_221 (Post 14298577)

Thanks everyone.

The least expensive way to get into reloading is to pick up a Lee Loader.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/cat...leeloader.html

They cost about $25.00. My son bought a Taurus Judge, and I picked up a Lee Loader for him. All you need is the loader and a wooden or rubber hammer, powder, primers and bullets. It's easy to store, portable, and good for loading small quantities of ammo. He got good enough to sit down and load 50 rounds in less than an hour. Take a look on YouTube, there are some good videos showing the method. It's easier than it looks!

Rick from Kali 12-07-2009 13:59

Gloclster_221
here's a deal for you. enclosed is a picture of a Lee Pro-1000 that was given to me years ago and as you can see it has collected a lot of dust in those years. the press is missing parts(powder measure parts, primer assembly, case feed tubes) but the ram shaft is still tight on it. the shell carrier on it now is for loading .44 special and .44 mag. three ways you can go with this press. you can either build it back to a Pro-1000, or make it a three hole turret press or get the upgrade kit and make it into a 4 hole turret press. i also have a slightly used set of 9mm Lee dies that came with it. here's the best part of the deal.............. you can have them for FREE......... why you say???? because this stuff will probably stay around for more years collecting dust and i would rather give these things to someone who will use them. and help someone get into reloading at the same time.(i have six reloading presses) i live in so. cal and my girlfriend and i are supposed to make a trip up to Healdsburg the end of the month or the first of the year. i can drop the stuff off in Davis on the way or if you want it sooner you can just pay the shipping to you. so there you go."Merry Christmas"
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...cture076-1.jpg

GlockJD 12-07-2009 14:02

Now that's the Christmas spirit:)

Glockster_221 12-07-2009 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick from Kali (Post 14300682)
Gloclster_221
here's a deal for you. enclosed is a picture of a Lee Pro-1000 that was given to me years ago and as you can see it has collected a lot of dust in those years. the press is missing parts(powder measure parts, primer assembly, case feed tubes) but the ram shaft is still tight on it. the shell carrier on it now is for loading .44 special and .44 mag. three ways you can go with this press. you can either build it back to a Pro-1000, or make it a three hole turret press or get the upgrade kit and make it into a 4 hole turret press. i also have a slightly used set of 9mm Lee dies that came with it. here's the best part of the deal.............. you can have them for FREE......... why you say???? because this stuff will probably stay around for more years collecting dust and i would rather give these things to someone who will use them. and help someone get into reloading at the same time.(i have six reloading presses) i live in so. cal and my girlfriend and i are supposed to make a trip up to Healdsburg the end of the month or the first of the year. i can drop the stuff off in Davis on the way or if you want it sooner you can just pay the shipping to you. so there you go."Merry Christmas"
Rick

Are you serious? I can't believe you would do that for me. :) You're so kind. I would love to receive this! By the way, I don't know if I will be here on the first, because I will be in Los Angeles. Where are you in Socal? Maybe it would be easier for you to bring it to me there.

Please PM me.

Rick from Kali 12-07-2009 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glockster_221 (Post 14301296)
Are you serious? I can't believe you would do that for me. :) You're so kind. I would love to receive this! By the way, I don't know if I will be here on the first, because I will be in Los Angeles. Where are you in Socal? Maybe it would be easier for you to bring it to me there.

Please PM me.

yes, i am serious, tell you what, i will put off my trip north til after the 1st and will bring the items to you when you get down here. i am in the Santa Clarita Valencia area up by Magic Mountain. i also have some 9mm brass that i also can give you, maybe a scale too it's an old Redding one that goes to 325 grains. i'll look around to see what else i can find to get you going. check your pm, i sent you my phone number. i'll clean up the press for you. PM sent
Rick
Here are the dies and scale that go with this deal...."Merry Christmas"
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...cture077-1.jpg

RustyFN 12-07-2009 20:17

Nice offer Rick. Long time no see. How have you been. Good to see you posting.

ron59 12-08-2009 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick from Kali (Post 14301434)
yes, i am serious,

Hell of a thing to do man... I hope it's appreciated on the other hand, and the setup gets lots of good use.

Joshhtn 12-08-2009 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron59 (Post 14305107)
hell of a thing to do man... I hope it's appreciated on the other hand, and the setup gets lots of good use.

+1000!

Boxerglocker 12-08-2009 12:26

Very generous.... God bless you sir...

Rick from Kali 12-08-2009 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyFN (Post 14302929)
Nice offer Rick. Long time no see. How have you been. Good to see you posting.

thanks Rusty, been doing ok considering. just trying to help Glockster get into reloading. this stuff been sitting around for years might as well put it to good use and help a new shooter. besides, it' Christmas........ hope everything is well with you...by the way......."MERRY CHRISTMAS"

Rick

aerod1 12-10-2009 20:03

Now that's a great CHRISTmas present!!!! Way to go!!

mbradst 12-10-2009 20:25

Awesome Rick. I am sure you have just made a reloader for life. The only bad thing is that means less brass to scrounge for the rest of us.

ilgunguygt 12-10-2009 23:45

Wow, lots of good karma here! The shooting world needs this kind of kindness if we are gonna preserve it.

Glockster_221 12-11-2009 05:56

Rick is such a great guy. Thanks again for the kindness! :)

Rick from Kali 12-11-2009 19:25

Start Up Reloading Package Part 1

so taking a Lee Pro 1000 and making it into a Turret is not that simple. the support poles on the 1000 are longer being that it uses a shell carrier which also contains the shell plate indexer and it is thicker so the longer poles. so being a man of my word i canilblized my old Lee turret press which i have just been using to decap brass, and transfered most of the parts needed to make the switch to a turret. so Glockster here are some photo's of what i can give you. i set the sizer die and set the case flare in the powder station.so you are ready to start loading 9mm. all you will need is powder,primers, and bullets. and to use the correct powder disc. and set the seater die to seat and crimp. so here is what's in the package:
turret press with powder measure
9mm dies&die box
3 Midway 9mm loading blocks
1 Lee primer pocket cleaning tool
shell holder
3 extra turrets
4 powder disk
170 9mm brass
instruction sheets
Redding powder scale
RCBS Calipers
MTM shooter's box
if you want clean brass you will need to invest in a case cleaner. so Merry Christmas Glockster.
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...cture083-3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...cture084-1.jpg

deadday 12-11-2009 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick from Kali (Post 14300682)
Gloclster_221
Rick

Nicely dont brother, nicely don!