GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

responsibility and restraint

Posted 04-03-2011 at 19:50 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

Had an odd little encounter this afternoon. My wife and decided to go to a movie and relax for a couple of hours. The theater was in extreme north Dallas, Tx, Plano, actually. We didn't decide to go til we were in a bit of rush to get there. We missed the theater and crossed the toll road into another shopping mall. We saw the theater and headed back out into traffic. On the way out of the parking lot we encountered a girl pushing a shopping cart up the right side of the road. We didn't encounter...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2756 Comments 1 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Funny/stupid drag racing stories

Posted 02-12-2011 at 20:21 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

Stupid was me. Fayatteville, NC 1960 I found a little drag strip on a guy's private land. It was not much of a drag strip, but it was the only one I could find. Before every race day they had to take a tractor and fill a drainage ditch that cut the strip in the shutdown area. The ultimate car stopper was a pond at the the end of the shutdown. They got cars from Virginia and the other surrounding states. They had dragster powered by Oldsmobile, Chevy 348, Buick, Lincoln, and even Studebaker....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puff_the_Magic_Dragster_by_DarkWizard83.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	17   Click image for larger version

Name:	42-15.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	18  
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3154 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Korea as I saw it in 1960

Posted 02-06-2011 at 08:28 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

There were things we could not do where I was in Korea. We could not have civilian clothes, or civilian cars, or go roaming around the country side weekends (uncharted minefields). What really irritated us was that in Seoul, twenty five miles away, you could do all that. One upside was that you were pretty much exempt from prosecution from the local authorities.

One thing you did not do was piss off your drafted NFL division football team players. The first Cav Division's football...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1902 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Grizzly Tales

Posted 02-03-2011 at 06:45 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

King Cove, Alaska, where my brother was a cop is built on an old Grizzly migratory path. The Grizzlies do not know that they should change their route, and the humans did not tell them. The humans just moved in and built a fish cannery. Consequently there is quite a bit of inter-action between the two species.

The first thing my brother do before taking out the trash was to check the dumpster to see if it was full of grizzly. One night he drove up to his house and there was a...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1885 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Conversations with famous people

Posted 01-29-2011 at 06:46 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

Whether they're famous to you would be determined by how old you are and your field of interest.

Dateline, Amelia Island, Fla-awhile ago.
Bobby Unser: I attended a meeting with several retired Indy drivers, all past winners of the race. It was kind of like a Trekky convention, with better mingling.

After the official program was over and the mingling started, I wound up with Unser. He was talking about how they used to build the old Indy Roadsters, and in...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1799 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags