GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Old

Bill's stories

Posted 11-29-2010 at 08:43 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)

When I was a small child in the dee south the family made their living by th' sweat o' th' brow, literally. They were into hard, backbreaking work, the main industries being pulp wood, logging, and digging and hauling pine stumps. During the rainy season they might not work for a week at a time cause the woods were too muddy for the trucks.

When my brother graduated high school in 1952 it was assumed he wood join the crew and become a wood cutter. My brother begged them to modernize,...
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1525 Comments 0 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

Living History--Director's Cut

Posted 11-28-2010 at 21:19 by spero525
Updated 11-29-2010 at 09:57 by spero525 (Spelling. Grammar. Late night.)

(i.e. Here be disjointed musings.)

The place I grew up had many small quirks, one of which was perhaps not so small. One of the locals had a restored P-51 Mustang and frequently took it for a low loop over the orchards and vineyards that surrounded my parents' house. As a young child I didn't much appreciate the living history that caused a racket and left everyone staring upwards, but as I grew older and learned what the P-51 was all about, I began to understand why people stopped...
HE did it.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2428 Comments 2 spero525 is offline Edit Tags
Old

On Freelancing, or "How I Became a Mercenary Writer"

Posted 11-28-2010 at 12:21 by Critias
Updated 11-28-2010 at 12:24 by Critias

Now, maybe it's not glamorized by the media and the gun rags as much as being a high speed, low drag, private military company contractor...but there's quite the life of glory and adventure to be led by their deskbound, completely non-violent, mercenary brethren; the freelance writer!

Sure, sure, we don't get to play with guns, or ride in helicopters, or play with guns while riding in helicopters, but we do okay for ourselves. I mean, three and a half cents a word is nothing...
Freelancer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3868 Comments 4 Critias is offline Edit Tags
Old

Swamp Thing

Posted 11-28-2010 at 08:03 by Bill Powell (Bill's stories)
Updated 01-11-2011 at 18:46 by Bill Powell

I was born on a dark and stormy night and when I was born I was young, very young. So much for the Louis L'Amour style of writing.

I was born in Picayune, Miss. a depressing number of years ago. I have a few fleeting memories of the three to five year age. My first hard memories were of living on the old family homestead close to Oloh, Miss which is about halfway between Hattiesburg and Columbia. Our playground was in the swamps which were full of varmints and wild critters....
Cross Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2219 Comments 2 Bill Powell is offline Edit Tags
Old

First post

Posted 11-27-2010 at 17:06 by shadow_dog

Thankful for a few days off from work. Thankful for still having a decent job. Thankful for health and the well being of my family.

Found some time to do some reloading for the next GSSF season. Couldn't make one outdoor match this year, due to work and family commitments. Down from around 6-9 matches per year. Hope I can get to shoot my usual outdoor matches this year.

Wishing all out there well.
Hilljack
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1232 Comments 0 shadow_dog is offline Edit Tags