Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

1. Old Comment

The 44 Magnum's bullets

Good stuff here. I'm a tried and true 10mm fan but just recently got into .44 magnum (again).... Been shooting my Ruger SBHBH quite a bit lately and will hopefully be taking my deer this year with it.

Someday I'll take the plunge on casting equipment (when I buy my own house and have a good place to setup shop where my 2y old daughter can't get to) but until then will continue to load my own .44 and enjoy the hell out of it.
  2. Old Comment

More home-made 44-caliber JHPs

Not yet. Weather has been nasty and very range-preventative. I'f you check my later blog entries, you'll see I've loaded up some test rounds, and I'm just waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can get to the range to test them.

I've been eye-balling the Winchester 40 brass I have sitting alongside the box of cores sitting there next to them... But, I think I'm going to work on a new, dedicated bullet-processing bench and swaging press first. The force combined with the hammering on the ejector pin makes me want to have a small, separate, HEAVY-duty bench just for swaging.

In the meantime, I have been continuing to clean and process the 30-06 brass. I've really been meaning to do a new entry in the blog here, but time, work, and sleep are fighting me.
  3. Old Comment

Anything new to share with these loads?
    Posted 02-05-2011 at 18:17 by RustyShackelford RustyShackelford is offline
  4. Old Comment

Winter, Vacation, Work, and other things in the way...

The Marlin 1894 is a really great gun. I often regret having gotten out of reloading in 44mag. I miss my Marlin and my Ruger Bisley SBH too. At the time only only used lead in my reloads, and the amount of smoke they generated made people think I was firing a blunderbuss. Since we can't hunt with handguns in New Jersey, I decided I could drop the caliber. My mistake.
    Updated 01-29-2011 at 09:23 by lunker
  5. Old Comment

Thanks lunker! Yeah, from a self-defense point of view or short-range hunting (<30m), I'd agree. I plan on putting one of these into the water jugs to test expansion and penetration, so we'll see what that looks like.

But, one of my main thrusts with these is to make something so consistent that it would be a viable hunting bullet (accuracy, expansion, & penetration) out to 125+ yards from my Marlin 1894 carbine, therefore, ultimately I want better QC.

After pondering these pressure/load tests, I also think I'm going to make up 5 rounds with the rim/extractor groove/part of the web removed. I'm going to make them heavier, so the finished weight is the same. (Sawing off the rim/web area removes about 15grs weight, so to keep pressure factors comparable, I'll add some weight to the core.)
    Updated 01-29-2011 at 05:59 by MakeMineA10mm
  6. Old Comment

Your "mistakes" still look like you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of them.
  7. Old Comment

Cool, very ambitious of you. be safe
  8. Old Comment

Loaded up the first few test rounds tonight. I'm starting especially low, because since these jackets are made from fired cases, they are extra-deep in seating depth. This reduction in case capacity means they will give higher pressures with the same loads, hence needing to reduce farther and work up... I'll be sure to let everyone know how they shoot and what loads I find max.
  9. Old Comment
  10. Old Comment
  11. Old Comment

MORE Carbine?? And Odds & Ends: 30-30, 357, 44, 45ACP, 223, and 30-06!

Yeah, now that I'm getting things cleaned and organized, I don't know how that will work with my OCD!?! LOL!!

I worked it to my advantage with the 30-Carbine, because I loaded up all the grungy primed cases in order to turn them into empties, so that I can clean them up!!
  12. Old Comment

MORE Carbine?? And Odds & Ends: 30-30, 357, 44, 45ACP, 223, and 30-06!

ain't that always the way?

every time i think i've got a certain caliber taken care of: cleaned, boxed..., i'll find a stash(big and small)!
    don't forget: every time you go shooting you'll throw off the clean brass mixture!
  13. Old Comment

MMA10mm's Daily Reloading Blog

I be checking in from time to time...Good luck!
  14. Old Comment

Next step on the 30-06 brass: ANNEALING, and 44 JHPs getting wrapped up.

As I said in my first-ever blog entry, I haven't invented any of my ideas. What I have done is perhaps make the process more efficient or better by combining/adjusting ideas.

Here's where I got the idea for annealing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c

Ammosmith has many good video articles. I don't always do it the way he does, but we're pretty close. For example, I learned from a metal chemist that air-cooling is actually a tiny bit better than water-dropping brass at the end of the annealing. The reason for water-dropping is convenience/safety not having hot brass rolling around. I found a large stainless steel metal collander keeps the hot brass up off my table, and the holes let air through for cooling, and it's large enough to hold a LOT of cases. I also don't spin my cases anywhere near as fast as he does. I just get them to where they're turning a little faster than an LP on a phonograph, for those of you old enough to remember those!

I STILL haven't found my camera battery, so I'm off to Best Buy for one this morning. Over the next couple days I'll be updating all of my blog entries with more pictures, so come back and check it out!!
    Updated 01-17-2011 at 10:29 by MakeMineA10mm
  15. Old Comment
  16. Old Comment

Next step on the 30-06 brass: ANNEALING, and 44 JHPs getting wrapped up.

Interesting stuff... And if nothing else I'm sure it was a learning experience. It would be for me... Lol
  17. Old Comment

wow very ambitious! let us know how they shoot sir
  18. Old Comment

I got a good chuckle about your deer hunting buddy's eyes. ... lolol
  19. Old Comment

Home-swaged .430" JHP bullets & 30-40 Krag

High Nick! These are home-made JHPs. Take fired brass, insert lead, form them in a die in your reloading press, and voila! (This is a little over-simplified, but it hits the high points.)

I've been casting my own lead-alloy bullets for years, since about 1984 or so (?), and I've always been interested in the idea of making my own jacketed bullets too. Finally found a guy with a reasonably-priced die that was good (high) quality, and jumped into it.

See my new blog entry from today!
  20. Old Comment

Home-swaged .430" JHP bullets & 30-40 Krag

Very interesting and nice work.... I'm not all "up to speed" on exactly all you're doing but its pretty dang interesting