Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Where are all the CNC Programmmers?

Posted 03-30-2011 at 10:21 by tokarevsvt
Updated 03-30-2011 at 10:22 by tokarevsvt

For the last few months I have been looking for a CNC Programmer/machine operator to work in our shop here at Safety Harbor Firearms. After I took delivery of my new Haas CNC Milling machine I thought it would be easy to find someone to do programming with Mastercam. With the economy in its current condition I thought there would be many people looking for work. Man was I wrong - yes there are lots of people looking for work but not many CNC programmers - least not in the Tampa Bay area. Aside from ads placed on Craigslist (those ads got the most replys) I placed an ad in one of the local newspapers ($350.00 7days print and internet) and received 0 replys - I was offering $18.00 to $22.00 per hour. Whats going on? where are all the programmers? They cant all be working at Home Depot or living on the government cheese. If I was a kid out of high school and didnt want to do the 4 year college thing you can bet i would be learning Mastercam/machine operation.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2222 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I work in machining in North Carolina. Everyone I know with any machining experience is working. Shops that are hiring all have the same complaint, there's just no help available.

If you're looking for a green button pusher, there's a few of them around.

All the Best,
    D. White
  2. Old Comment
    Tokarevsvt, If you were 6 months earlier, i'd be working for you. But i graduated and found a job already. Post your listing at Texas A&M's Engineering Technology program (My degree). Its a 4 year mechanical engineering degree but we had many courses using Feature CAM and we even have a Haas 5 axis of our own. I'm sure you can get a current student to come learn it for a summer and see if thats what he wants to do and relocate to FL. There are plenty of gun nuts in that program. My old roomate even has two of your Safety Harbor .50's. Great guns BTW. Contact the faculty for a summer internship or something. I'd be happy to send some of my former class mates over to you if you so wish.

http://etidweb.tamu.edu/manufacturing/