Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.

ruger's new LC9 and my disapointment

Posted 01-03-2011 at 17:11 by bigghoss

I'm sure many of you by now have heard about ruger's new CC piece. when I had first heard the rumors I was VERY excited. I would really love to have a slim single stack 9mm. However shortly after the truth came out my joy turned to sadness and anger. In case you don't know this gun is equipped with a manual safety, giant loaded chamber indicator, mag disconnect, and I've also heard but haven't confirmed that it also has an internal lock. This is like getting Jessica Alba into the sack only to find out she has a penis. I sent ruger a nasty email to this effect as well though without the crude analogy. The whole point of a DAO trigger system is so that you don't need a manual safety. Not that you need one(press check anyone?)but the LCI can be accomplished by simply having a tang on the extractor that stands proud of the slide only when there is a round in the chamber. mag disconnects and internal locks serve only to complicate guns and add failure points. I was very much hoping for an LCP scaled up for the 9mm cartridge but what we got was a lawyered up joke with no punchline.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 58329 Comments 9 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Dang Hoss, where to start?

In short, while I feel anyones pain at a firearms disappointment I have to wonder about your recent knowledge of Ruger in general. I for one among many would think that the shortcomings of the elsiepea (lcp) would be indicative of future endeavors.
    Press check????
    Now how in the world are you going to be a responsible firearm owner and not know for sure if your side arm is chambered or not. What are you doing letting it leave your sight?
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Press check????
    Now how in the world are you going to be a responsible firearm owner and not know for sure if your side arm is chambered or not. What are you doing letting it leave your sight?
    I know which guns are loaded and unloaded in my home but I STILL check every time I holster the weapon before leaving the house or any time I handle the weapon. seems like everyone I've ever heard of who had a negligent discharge "knew" the gun was unloaded. matter of fact the one I had was because of that. thankfully no one was around and it went into the dirt without doing any damage and all that happened was I felt like an idiot.

aside from the really small sights I have no complaints with my LCP so I'm not sure what "shortcomings" you're referring to.
    Updated 01-08-2011 at 19:35 by bigghoss
  3. Old Comment
    This is really silly, if you are going to error why not error on the side of safety and if you don't like a safety on a gun don't push the little safety on.
  4. Old Comment
    or I just won't buy a gun with an unnecessary manual safety
  5. Old Comment
    Hussky: it's not about not using it it's about not training to take it off so that it's habit for if you ever have to draw it. More importantly to those who don't like traditional safeties it adds another part (or several) to fail, adds unnecessary weight & a dohicky to get in the way of grip on such a small frame gun or snag. I would have preferred they too their smash hit LCP and enlarged it enough to chamber & fire a 9mm round. Done.
  6. Old Comment
    even more likely than it failing is the possibility of it getting accidentally switched on.
  7. Old Comment
    I got to play around with one of these a couple days ago.

The manual safety isn't going to get switched on accidentally. I had a hard time intentionally switching it on. That thing is very stiff, much stiffer than any safety I've used. That being said, switching it off is far easier than switching it on.

The trigger is long and smooth, somewhat like a Kahr. Very natural if you've gotten used to shooting a DAO revolver.

Time will tell with the reliability of the magazine disconnect and the internal lock... I went back to the store the next day after thinking it over and put one on special order, they were asking a fair price.
  8. Old Comment
    JUST GOT A LC9 LAST WEEK AND LOVE IT.NOT REALLY CRAZY ABOUT THE LOADED GUN INDECATOR BUT WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS ABOUT??WISH IT CAME WITH TWO MAGS BUT LOOKING FOR MOE ONLINE.FOBUS MAKES A NICE CCW HOLSTER FOR THE LCP ALTHOUGH I CARRY AS A BACKUP IN A HIDDEN DIFFERENCE HOLSTER.GREAT WEAPON SO FAR!!!
  9. Old Comment
    the ruger p345 was( I'm fairly sure) rugers first attempt with the giant LCI, internal lock, and mag disconnect. I had one for a while and liked the feel and size. the internal lock itself never gave me an issue but I never used it. the manual thumb safety actually did break on that gun and coupled with the reports of the disconnects breaking I sold it right after it came back from ruger for the safety, NTM the safety is in the wrong spot on those anyway. After my generally negative experience with that gun it soured me on features like this. I have a P95dc that has never given me a lick of trouble but I'm most fond of glocks. yes the operator 1911 I have is a very good gun but I carry a glock everyday and I just love them for their simplicity and proven reliability. except for the issues with the gen 4's. not sure why they'd fix something that wasn't broken.