GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

update on my wife's pain

Posted 06-24-2010 at 08:51 by geminicricket

I've been quite open about my wife's experience with debilitating pain over the past 2 years.

It's over. She's well.

Several weeks ago a doctor took an X-Ray of her neck and declared that she had arthritis.
Shortly after that, I had her start taking Osteo Bi-Flex, an OTC glucosamine & chondroitin supplement. After about 4 weeks of that, she started feeling a little better. In the past 5 days, she gone from "A little better" to "damn fine."

Her appetite and attitude are back, and there's no evidence of the mania she had last year.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7302 Comments 4 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good to hear! I just started taking Osteo Bi-Flex 10 days ago due to ongoing hip pain/discomfort from replacement surgery 1 1/2 years ago. No real notable change for me yet.

Hope she continues to improve.
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you, PawDog.
    Alas, it's been up and down since Thanksgiving. After 5 weeks of hurting badly, she had 3 good days last week and then started hurting again.

Osteoarthritis has no cure. All medical approaches to it are 'pain management'. We tried that for 2 years without knowing the diagnosis, and there was no relief. The only relief came after first getting the diagnosis and then 5 weeks of Osteo Bi-Flex. Wal-Mart has two varieties of Osteo Bi-Flex. The first one I used was the Triple Strength variety. That's what she took when she had her first relief.
    When that bottle was exhausted, I replenished her supply with the other variety at Wal-Mart. For several months she was well. When she started hurting again, I got the triple strength variety again. When she started feeling well again (last week), I wrote to the manufacturer and said nice things. They sent me a years supply of $4 off coupons for the triple strength.
  3. Old Comment
    I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips, part of the reason for the left side replacement. Same prognosis with the necrosis (dead bones), no cure. My wife also had disc fusion surgery in her neck, C-5 / C-6, two years ago. Same for her, good days and bad days, and recently was recommended for "pain management" who want her to go through a series of physical therapy to strenghen her neck muscles. Sounds like BS to me as it would only increase the pain and possibly cause more damage.

We both only use Aleve for pain, and I stopped taking the Osteo Bi-flex as it really didn't help after 60 days or more of use.
  4. Old Comment
    I was in a car accident at age 11, and the repair (three pins by orthopedic surgeon) stopped the blood flow to my (then) still-growing bones. This gave me Avascular Necrosis in my Right Femur. I walked, ran, drove, etc. with pain for 25 years, and within the first 5 years of this developing, they tried a couple surgical corrections (none of which worked).

Got to be unbearable and saw a news story about a local surgeon who did ceramic hip replacements. (I had put this off, because the stainless and poly- hip replacements wear out and need replaced, and I was too young to get this done very many times. But, the Ceramic hips are estimated to last up to 200 years, so I figure I'll never wear it out! )

While awaiting the hip replacement, the doctor put me on pain meds. I'd tried vicoden in the past, and it didn't really help my pain. (I don't know why all the people who abuse opiates get excited about them as it didn't make me happy, euphoric, or "high" either... ) I told the doc my issue with those pain meds, and he nodded and said, OK, try this, and handed me a prescription... It was for Ultracet, which is a combination of tramadol and ibuprofin. It worked!! And, better yet, it's a non-narcotic and not habit-forming.

I know from my experience with vicoden that everyone's body chemistry is different, but having lived through what I did, I hate hearing of people trying to deal with pain. Life's too short. Get agressive with fighting that pain!

By the way, since my hip replacement, I've been pain-free, even in the Winter or other severe weather changes (which used to nearly criple me).