Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Quick Review: Radetec AmmoControl LED Round Count Advisor

Posted 06-11-2014 at 12:29 by OutdoorHub Editor

In this image, the Radetec AmmoControl LED Advisor is solid red. That means there's two rounds left in the gun.

By Dick Jones

I donít have ice water in my veins. I have friends who do and Iíve always envied the quality, but under pressure, I often operate in panic mode. I simply donít have the ability to hold the broad awareness under stress situations thatís often required in 3-gun competitions and tactical pistol shooting. Iím aware this would likely be a handicap should I ever get into a gunfight, so I try to improve my abilities by shooting competitive events that generate high pressure to improve my tendencies.

In a gunfight (or a tactical match for that matter), you should never run your gun dry to the point that the slide locks back. Having to load and drop the slide costs precious time. During the seconds it takes to load a magazine and drop the slide, youíre unarmed. Ideally, you should either do a tactical load under cover, or shoot to the last round and change magazines one round before slide-lock. This requires counting rounds, and Iím simply not cool enough to manage this in a competitionómuch less when facing an assailant.

Radetec has come up with a solution to the problem of being surprised by having an empty gun when you need a loaded gun. Like all solutions to existing problems, it has a price, but for some of us, the advantages might outweigh the cost.

The Radetec AmmoControl LED Advisor warns the shooter as his round count gets to critical levels. The system works by replacing the magazine follower with a Radetec follower that holds a small magnet (this also costs you one round of magazine capacity). The rear grip panel is also replaced with a Radetec panel that has a multicolored LED exposed just above the shooterís trigger finger. As the round count decreases, the sensor in the grip panel lights up the LED with different colors to indicate how many rounds remain. Solid blue means there are four rounds left, green means three, red means two, and flashing red means one. Radetec has another product called the Digital Counter that gives the shooter an actual round count.

The system is activated by a switch located high on the rear of the grip panel. Iíve had problems with laser switches located here, but this one worked every time for me. Until I used the system, I wasnít sure Iíd notice the flashing colors. Having now used an AmmoControl-equipped gun in a 2-gun tactical match, I found the flash was enough to let me know I was running low without distracting me from the job at hand. Having said this, all of us are different and I canít assure the same results for you.

In all, this is a viable addition to a pistol for competition or for defensive use. The Advisor is available for the 92F, 1911, and M&P in .40 and 9x19mm. it sells for $169.The Digital Counter system is available for the Beretta 92, 1911, and AR-15. The pistol model is $199 and the AR-15 model sells for $225.

Quality **** (out of 5)

The Radetec Advisor was well-made and functioned perfectly. It fit the grip of the M&P test gun as well as the original backstrap, and never missed a beat.

Reliability ****

While this is an electronic device and by nature, such things can fail, itís a solid system and I suspect itís pretty durable. The sensing device is a magnet and magnetic switches tend to be as reliable as a rock.

Price/Value ***

At $169, this isnít a cheap option. It does cost you one round of capacity, but were I in a position where I felt there was a good likelihood of getting into an altercation in which I could expend a double-stack magazine full of ammunition, I think Iíd opt for the Advisor.

Referability ***

In talking to others, I noticed some skepticism, and I admit I had reservations myself, but having used it, I think it could be useful. I hear the same objections to laser sights, but Iíll always carry a gun with a laser if itís available.

Image by Dick Jones

This article was originally published on OutdoorHub.com.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1804 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments