GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

C-1, Chambered Versus C-3, Non-Chambered Carry

Posted 02-20-2013 at 21:40 by Arc Angel
Updated 03-21-2013 at 09:51 by Arc Angel

:) I am well-known on this board to be against most, but not all, civilian C-1 carry. My objection is to, ‘HOW’ a majority of relatively unskilled, and modestly trained civilians choose to go armed: To wit,

[COLOR="Red"][B]IN THE MOST DANGEROUS PERSONAL MANNER POSSIBLE![/B][/COLOR]

It is my considered opinion that far too many civilians are walking around all day long in C-1 when,

[COLOR="Red"][B]THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NECESSITY WITHIN THEIR DAILY ROUTINES FOR THEM TO DO SO.[/B][/COLOR]

Are these people, ‘being cool’? Well, ...... I’ve never seen a flagrant open carrier who wasn’t trying his very best to be as, ‘cool’ as he is moronic; and my thinking is no different about civilians who insist upon routine C-1 semi-auto carry. I spend a lot of time on public firing lines; and too much of what I've seen has, probably, helped to turn my hair white! Made me duck, or dive for the ground a few times, too!

The social guideline I apply to the C-1/C-3 carry decision is a simple one:

‘[COLOR="Navy"][B]DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE OTHERS DO UNTO YOU.[/COLOR][/B]’

Whether it’s open carry, or chambered carry my thoughts are the same: If a legal gun owner wants to advertise his Second Amendment Rights then, rather than flagrantly sporting a highly dangerous and deadly weapon on his hip,

[COLOR="Red"][B]WEAR A T-SHIRT, CARRY A PLACARD, OR HAND OUT COPIES OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, AND THE BILL-OF-RIGHTS.[/B][/COLOR]

Don’t run around the local shopping mall scaring, ‘the bejesus’ out of everybody else’s: moms, dads, children, and the elderly - That’s neither socially polite, nor intellectually indicative of the best Judeo-Christian ethics have to offer.

Let me try to put things into a more pertinent perspective: I’m an individual who has carried at least one pistol, everywhere I go, 24 hours a day, and for the better part of two decades now. ‘Why’? Simple! I’ve previously been attacked; and, as another member of this board once (rather cleverly) pointed out: ‘[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]The devil sends more trouble some people’s way than others.[/I][/COLOR]’ Apparently, and for whatever reasons, I appear to be one of those people. :dunno:

I’m neither a neophyte, nor naďve about any of this. As much as I like other people, (and I do like other people, often too well for my own good) I’m also of the opinion that far too many of my fellow human beings are thoroughly (perhaps irreversibly) possessed of obtuse hearts and, ‘dark souls’.

Once I was attacked by a large, filthy dirty, street vagrant who entered, uninvited, into our home; and, twice in the past 15 years, I’ve been attacked by armed young men while I was within 65 yards of the house! In the in-home incident I was unarmed; and our Pit Bulldogs came to my rescue. In the other two incidents I was heavily armed; and, both times, I had to draw a pistol in order to defend myself from impending serious harm.

This should tell you that I, personally, would be among the very last of people to ever proscribe any honest, law abiding individual from going armed. What I question is THE MANNER in which armed semiautomatic carry is customarily (and habitually) done by the general public-at-large. (N-1)

The question is complex, multifaceted, and becomes: '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Is it possible to: (1) Be safe, (2) competent, (3) effective, and (4) genuinely fast with a pistol IF you are not carrying in C-1?[/I][/COLOR]' From within my own 60 + years of gun usage and handling experience, the considered - the PRAGMATIC - correct answer is, ‘[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Yes!’ ‘It is certainly possible to be (1) safe, (2) competent, (3) effective, and (4) genuinely fast with a semiautomatic pistol that is normally carried in a non-chambered (C-3) condition.[/I][/COLOR]’

You watch police dash cam videos on television; right! When was the last time you saw a professionally trained police officer hesitate to draw his service pistol

[COLOR="Red"][B]THE MOMENT HE REALIZED THAT HE[/Color] [Color=DarkBlue][B]MIGHT[/B][/Color][COLOR="Red"] BE IN GENUINE TROUBLE?[/B][/Color]

In hundreds, if not thousands, of televised, real world, police programs I’ve never seen any such lapse in any police officer's personal security occur. (Just the opposite, actually!) ;)

If you want to stay alive, you do NOT wait for an actor to get within arm’s reach of you. You carefully watch his hands; and, ideally, you make yourself ready-to-act at between 12 and 15 yards’ distance. Don’t be shy about loudly warning off a possible attacker, either! The legal AND social obligation is that you SHOULD!

Modern jurisprudence requires you to loudly warn off anyone who becomes a threat BEFORE you resort to showing, let alone using, a gun. Anyone who waits until a half second’s time becomes critical to his survival has, in my carefully considered opinion,

[COLOR="Red"][B]WAITED TOO LONG![/B][/COLOR]

Your most viable self-defense plan should have been, both, formulated and put into action LONG BEFORE, ‘[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]arm’s reach and that last critical half second[/I][/COLOR]’ has arrived.

As the very gun savvy Dave Spaulding has frequently pointed out:

‘[COLOR="Red"][B]THE VAST MAJORITY OF ARMED ENCOUNTERS WHICH THE GOOD GUYS LOSE OCCUR AT VERY SHORT DISTANCES.[/B][/COLOR]'

I completely agree. I’m also telling you, here, that if you end up grappling for your life inside an instantaneous CQB knife or pistol ambush - Which is THE ONLY truly valid justification for C-1 semiautomatic pistol carry - then, more than likely,

[COLOR="Red"][B]IT’S GOING TO BE YOUR OWN FAULT![/B][/COLOR]

What is more, the usual Internet rational for going around all day long with your semiautomatic combat pistol in C-1, while exposing absolutely everyone - including yourself - to potential harm, is most typically given as:

[COLOR="Red"][B]IN ORDER TO BE SUPREMELY READY FOR JUST SUCH A HIGHLY UNLIKELY AMBUSH ATTEMPT![/B][/COLOR] :freak:

(An ambush attempt, I might add, for which gunfighting statistics support the facts that more than 90% of the, ‘Glockeroos’ out there are, both, highly unlikely to experience even once in a lifetime, AND are also personally ill-prepared to effectively defend themselves against, anyway.) (N-2), (N-3)

NOTES:

(N-1) For the mentally confused or just plain ignorant: A revolver is NOT ever carried in C-1. Only a semiautomatic pistol can be carried that way; and for those who insist there is no difference between carrying a modern revolver with a fully loaded cylinder, and a C-1 Glock, ...... well, these guys have been spending too much time on the Internet.

[COLOR="Red"][B]REVOLVERS DO NOT HAVE 74% + PRETENSIONED TRIGGER MECHANISMS; BUT STRIKER-FIRED: GLOCK, SPRINGFIELD XD, OR SMITH & WESSON SEMI-AUTOS DO![/B][/COLOR]

(N-2) When I say, ‘ill-prepared’ I mean on ALL applicable levels of personal response: Mental, (Which means being able to quickly formulate an effective survival plan.) Emotional, (Which means being able to smoothly transition between individual fight, or flight modes-of-behavior, as well as being instantaneously able to grab control of your own emotions.) and Tactical, (Being able to demonstrate adequate, or better, personal self-defense physical skill sets.)

[COLOR="Red"][B]JUST BECAUSE A CIVILIAN GUNMAN KEEPS HIS SEMI-AUTO PISTOL IN C-1 DOES NOT MEAN THAT HE’S AUTOMATICALLY THE: ‘BIGGEST, BADDEST, AND MOST DEADLY, ‘MO-FO’ IN THE JUNGLE’.[/B][/COLOR] (:shocked: True!)

Don’t tell me about what police officers do, either. Uniformed police officers use, ‘Level Three’ high security holsters - NOT the open-topped, lightly secured holster designs that most of us who go about, ‘in mufti’ all day long prefer to use. An open-topped holster, and a minimally-secured pistol that’s, also, carried in C-1, all, lead up to only one thing:

[COLOR="Red"][B][U]THEE[/U] MOST POTENTIALLY VOLATILE MANNER IN WHICH A CIVILIAN MIGHT HOLSTER AND CARRY A SEMIAUTOMATIC COMBAT PISTOL.[/B][/COLOR]

(N-3) I use the term, ‘combat pistol’ because that’s actually what every carry sidearm is; and, one more time, at the very least I think C-3 is how members of the general public should routinely carry their semiautomatic pistols!

So far I've been able to survive, twice now, when I was engaged and carrying in C-3. Perhaps because I was alert. Perhaps because I was well-prepared across ALL levels of personal response; and perhaps, again, because I, also, believe that neither of these events were amenable to my own spiritual, ‘karma’. ;)

These are the reasons, ‘Why’ I believe street survival under dire circumstances hasn't really been all that hard for me! Other competent and knowing pistoleros, perhaps like me, should be able to do the same thing, too.

Not to be a fatalist; but, I firmly believe that,

‘[COLOR="DarkBlue"][B]WHEN IT'S YOUR TIME, IT'S YOUR TIME.[/B][/COLOR]’

Only the direct intervention of God can alter any such circumstance.[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"][B]*[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR] Otherwise, nothing is going to change this most fundamental truism inherent within all material being: 'Karma' doggedly follows and affects ALL men.

Each and every one of us, 'writes' his own life record as he goes; and it is, also, this very same life record for which each and every one of us [COLOR="Red"][B]MUST[/B][/COLOR], sooner or later, be called upon to stand up and answer. :thumbsup:

[COLOR="red"][SIZE="3"][B]*[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR] REFER: II Kings, Chapter 20

(1) [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467186&page=8[/url]
(2) [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467186&page=10[/url]
(3) [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20104493#post20104493[/url]
(4) [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20109516#post20109516[/url]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3334 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »