GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Shooting Lead Bullets In A Glock!

Posted 02-02-2013 at 08:12 by Arc Angel
Updated 05-18-2013 at 06:22 by Arc Angel

[quote=rdm1962;19939845]Ok, this must have been asked several times before. Are cast lead bullets safe to shoot in Glocks or not? I have been reloading for 25+ years. Cast bullets are what I load for practice ammo. I am new to owning and shooting this platform.

I have read some posts that say they are safe. Other post talk of the, ‘KaBoom!’ effect. Is it safe to only shoot a limited amount and then give the barrel a good cleaning? I there a good and sound rule of thumb that can followed? Knowledgeable advice is welcome. Thanks Ralph[/quote]

:) OK, here’s what I can tell you: Keep the BHN [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE] above 12 and below (about) 18. Make sure your bullet diameter is no more than .001" over bore diameter, and NOT equal to or below it. Keep the muzzle velocity below (about) 1,100 fps; and make sure your bullets are properly lubricated.

THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD SHOOT LEAD BULLETS IN THEIR GLOCKS.

I have many times! When you're first getting started with lead bullets check your bore frequently for leading. After awhile, and with a little acquired experience, you’ll know what to expect, and for how long you can shoot BEFORE stopping to brush out the barrel. (All of my polygonal bores are coated with Sentry Solutions, ‘Smooth-Kote’ PASSIVATED molybdenum disulfide.) Do these things and I don't expect a person with 25 years of experience reloading cast bullets to have any problem at all. :thumbsup:

To the best of my knowledge, Glock is one of very few manufacturers of mandrel-formed polygonal barrels that recommends against the use of lead bullets in their hammer-forged barrels; AND, given the broad lack of correct knowledge about this topic among the general shooting public, I'd have to say that Glock, GmbH is (probably) correct in making such a recommendation. For shooter/reloaders like you and me, though, the subject is moot. ;)

Suggested Reading: Post #4, Here: [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20087383#post20087383[/url]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE] 'BHN' = Brinell Hardness Number.

[COLOR=RED]ADVISORY:[/COLOR] I am NOT a Certified Glock Armorer! (I'm only that armorer which Gaston Glock has forced me to become.) ;)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5669 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »