GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Some People Have It, And Some Don't!

Posted 11-15-2012 at 20:58 by Arc Angel
Updated 02-28-2013 at 17:18 by Arc Angel

I'm getting a sense of Déjà vu while reading this thread. Sometimes it's good to remember just how lucky you are! Years ago, while I was still working for a living and on straight commission, mortgage interest rates suddenly soared up to 21% and the local real estate market almost completely shut down.

I still remember a couple of agents in my office who - after a couple of months of trying to survive in an impossible market - just sat down at their desks one Friday afternoon, put their heads down, and began to cry. Sure they were, in a very real sense, my immediate competitors; but, still, I felt very sorry for them. Their own homes and life savings were on-the-line!

One of these guys suddenly looked up and across the room at me. (We were always civil to each other, but never friends.) As if he were enraged he says to me, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]So how are you holding up, Ace?[/I][/COLOR]' I tried to give him a, 'middle of the road' sort of reply; but, a very helpful female agent, sitting just across from me, blurted out, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Oh, you don't have to worry about him.' 'Ace has had 7 straight all cash deals in a row![/I][/COLOR]' (It was true.)

Both men looked at me, and asked, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]How, the Hell, did you do that?[/I][/COLOR]' I told them, quite honestly, that the coincidence of my good fortune hadn't occurred to me until that very moment! (and it hadn't!) Know what? It's the same way, now, with ammunition. There's very little ammo for sale in northeastern Pennsylvania. This past Monday I called 8 or 9 gun shops looking for the only caliber that I'm really low on: 22 Long Rifle.

I didn't want just any ammo, I wanted the best 22 LR ammo that I could find. (NOT Eley, OK!) Just when I said to my wife, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]This is hopeless![/I][/COLOR]' I made one more phone call to a shop about 45 miles away that just happens to be near one of our favorite restaurants. (Probably the best, 'bar cuisine' in NEPA!) The girl who answered the phone said, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]I'll look.[/I][/COLOR]' She comes back on the line and says to me, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]You know what?' 'I just saw some all the way at the back of the shelf.[/I][/COLOR]'

When I asked if she had, at least, 3 boxes she replied, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]At least that much.[/I][/COLOR]' So, off we went. I had to wait for a really long time at the sales counter before being waited on. While I was waiting I kept looking at the ammo shelves. They had a lot of 22 LR ammo in a variety of different brands; but not exactly what I wanted. Then I look all the way down to the back of a long, narrow and empty row; and, all of a sudden, I see the word, 'Stinger'.

When my turn finally came up I asked the attractive young lady if she wouldn't mind reaching down to the end of that long row and giving me all the Stinger boxes that she had. She went to the row and took forever to pull forward 10 boxes of brand new, bright and shiny, Stinger ammo! Then she turns around to me and says, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]I'm sorry, Sir; but there's a 3 box limit.[/I][/COLOR]' I gritted my teeth and replied, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Young lady, I've driven a long way to come here; and I'm a regular customer.[/I][/COLOR]'

She didn't appear to be moved; and, just when I thought I'd run out 'a luck, my wife suddenly comes out with, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]My goodness, what a beautiful wedding ring you have on![/I][/COLOR]' The compliment was sincere; it really was one of the nicest wedding rings I've seen in years! So, the two of them compare wedding rings for awhile. (Many, many years ago I had my wife's wedding ring custom-made out of carved and inlaid platinum.) Then, right in the middle of a rather animated conversation I heard the young lady say, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Oh, I guess it'll be all right.' 'I'm just going to have to write it up on separate tickets.[/I][/COLOR]'

So, that's how I got the last 10 boxes of Stinger 22 LR ammo left in Northeastern Pennsylvania! I've, now, got an ammo magazine full of every caliber and gauge that I shoot! I do regard this situation as patently hysterical. While I was in the store I saw only one Bushmaster tactical carbine in a gun rack that is usually overflowing with AR's and AK's.

When I commented to one of the customers that, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]I already had mine.[/I][/COLOR]' He asked me what it was. I told him it was an almost new, 'LE marked' Colt 6920; and the guy nearly floored me with the comment, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]I'll give you $3,500.00 for it, right now![/I][/COLOR]' I smiled and said I wasn't interested; but, I wished him good luck in finding one for himself.

Without realizing it he started something of a, 'fire storm' for me. My wife overheard the conversation, and whispered in my ear, '[COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Now, might be a good time to sell one of those things![/I][/COLOR]' I told her it WAS a good time; but the day might come when I'm not there; and she might need it. (In spite of what that idiot, 'Sancho Panza' says, any AR is a very easy gun for a woman to shoot! Unlike a shotgun, there's almost no recoil Duh! :freak:) )

After we left the gun shop we went over to, 'Braveheart Pub' in Hellertown and took our sweet time eating an early dinner while sharing a glass of Smithwick Scottish Ale - Good stuff! (I've got my cardiologist's approval to drink one or two glasses of beer each week, just not at the same time. I don't, though. All I ever want is the first good mouthful; then I'm through. Been this way since college.)

[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473401[/url]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 577 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »