GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

The principle of holding people accountable for actions in today's society

Posted 04-06-2012 at 07:29 by RussP

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...6#post18808136

For context, here is the whole conversation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I consider just the principle of not letting others mess with my stuff to be well worth risking my life for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
We can agree to disagree on that one. Nothing I own is that valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hansen View Post
He isn't talking about the value of the property. He's talking about a very important principle. A principle that has repercussions far beyond the value of his possessions, no matter what they may be.

The principle of holding people accountable for their actions through one's own vigilance and willingness to act, is something that has almost become extinct. And we have whole areas of our country where the streets are crawling with vermin to show for it.

This thread makes me feel like a very old man, and I'm not quite 50. I say it makes me feel old, because where and when I grew up, any and all teenage males would find their out-of-place presence challenged by the adult males of the community.

When I was a kid, I hated the fact that the men, and quite frankly the more assertive women, would constantly ask us what we were doing, where we were going, and did our parents know where we were? Plus, any of those adults would feel totally comfortable reporting on us to our parents if they thought something was amiss.

As an adult, I now understand that their vigilance was invaluable, and that my own life might have been very different had the adults in my community not cared enough to do their best to keep us all in line. The debt I owe them for both keeping me safe, and on the right path, is immeasurable.

Maybe people like this new way better; the new way, where children are routinely get abducted in broad daylight, the new way, where kids are routinely hooked on dope by their teens, the new way, where gangs of roaming vermin slaughter each other over having been "dissed", the new way, where one's mere existence commands the greatest of respect. The new way, where one's personal merit and behavior is measured against absolutely nothing, because the most vile among us are to be considered of equal value to their respective communities.

You folks are welcome to your new way, it is a semi-free country after all. Keep your new way, where the only reasonable solution to any given problem is to call your almighty government, and hope they will come in time to sort it all out for you.

Enjoy having your government be in charge of your safety, your education, your nourishment, your medical care, etc... Enjoy having the largest per capita prison population on Earth, all because correcting a kid's bad behavior "outside the system", and before it becomes unstoppably evil, is taboo. Good luck to you all.

Myself, I prefer the old way, and will continue to conduct myself in its fashion. And I will never apologize for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I am also closing in on 50 and had similar experiences growing up. While I agree with the sentiment, it's unfortunate that you cannot be immune to "their" environment that they have created. We all suffer what we've evolved to become.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
The part in bold, what do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I mean that simply because you want to live your life a certain way, it doesn't mean that you're immune to how others live theirs and how the government runs theirs and yours.
  • We want to live your life a certain way

• We're not immune to how others live theirs

• We're not immune to how the government runs theirs and ours.
That's very good and very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
I canít speak for jdavionic, but I took it to mean that society as a whole has contributed to this environment we find ourselves in, we canít divorce ourselves from it and are not immune to its side effects. A society where at times criminals have more rights than their victims. A society where a good samaritan can find themselves in legal trouble for trying to help another human being. A society that often cares very little about how their words and actions harm others.

At times people donít help one another because if something goes wrong theyíll be left to hang alone, they and their families will be destroyed. Supposedly Zimmerman helped many people in the past; it is now that a couple have added a line or two to news articles. Iím not saying I agree with what he did, but hope the people he cared about are at least offering some support behind the scenes. There are a few of his 911 calls in youtube, he even called when kids were playing on the street and at risk of getting hit by passing vehicles. In that particular call he was asked about the race of the kids again, they were of a variety of races. That was among the last 6 calls that were counted against him in the media to attempt to prove he was a racist.

• Society as a whole has contributed to this environment we find ourselves in

• We canít divorce ourselves from it

• We are not immune to its side effects.

• A society where at times criminals have more rights than their victims.

• A society where a good samaritan can find themselves in legal trouble for trying to help another human being.

• A society that often cares very little about how their words and actions harm others.

• At times people donít help one another because if something goes wrong

• theyíll be left to hang alone,

• they and their families will be destroyed.
jdavionic, Misty, these are facts, not just opinions, real facts about where we are, that everyone, not just everyone who carries, but really everyone can use in deciding what role they individually and collectively will play in today's society.

That, jdavionic, is why I asked the question.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2314 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments