Important Notice: The site is currently being upgraded to a new software system. This process could take a day or two to complete. During that time, we are going to leave the site up here, on its old software. WHAT GETS POSTED HERE DURING THIS TRANSITION WILL NOT BE COPIED OVER ONTO THE NEW SITE, WHEN THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE. When we swap over, the content posted while this message is visible will be lost. We wanted to give you folks a place to hang out and talk while we worked though. We will let you know when we are finished. Please pardon the inconvenience, during this transition.

Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

New shooters first handgun

Posted 02-27-2011 at 15:23 by fredj338

New Shooters First Handgun

As an experienced shooter, instructor, hunter & reloader, I often get asked by new shooters; “what should I get for my first or only handgun”? In our world of high tech & semiautos, it might surprise many that I am not a fan of the semiautomatic, even a GLock, as a new or only gun for first time shooters.
The Glock platform is great, simple for a semiautomatic, but still more complicated than a revolver. Add to that the ammo limitations to semis & the limited grip options, it makes it more diff for a new shooter to learn to shoot well quickly. Any revolver can digest a wide range of ammunition & perk along quite nicely. Not true for all semis. Any revolver can be custom fit to the smallest or largest of hands w/ a simple grip change, again, not so for all semis.
So my recommendation for any newb shooter, get a 4” medium frame 357mag of reputable manuf as your first handgun. Then get a grip that fits your hand if the factory grip is too large or too small. Then practice w/ low recoil 38sp until proficiency is reached. Load it w/ a good 38sp+P JHP or LSWCHP or a 357magJHP, if you can handle the recoil, & you are well armed for 99% of any home defense scenarios. Back that up w/ a flashlight, speed loader or strip & some good training & you are as well armed as the guy w/ his G19 or 1911.
Shoot straight, stay safe.
fredj
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3735 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments