GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Korea as I saw it in 1960

Posted 02-06-2011 at 08:28 by Bill Powell

There were things we could not do where I was in Korea. We could not have civilian clothes, or civilian cars, or go roaming around the country side weekends (uncharted minefields). What really irritated us was that in Seoul, twenty five miles away, you could do all that. One upside was that you were pretty much exempt from prosecution from the local authorities.

One thing you did not do was piss off your drafted NFL division football team players. The first Cav Division's football team's first string, and all the others, usually consisted of NFL players, and the second string junior officers that played college ball. The junior officers on the 1st Cav started bitching about the fact they could not be first string heroes. The NFL guys told them to leave the team alone, First Cav told the NFL guys to let some junior officers play first string, so the entire NFL first string quit. I went to the next game following that. They played the Camp Casey guys.

You could hear arms and legs breaking like kindling wood.

The score was like a million to one. The only thing that left the first Cav with a team at all was the clock.

You could not make a phone call home. About the best you could was Japan, and who did I know in Japan.

Yu could get blown up by a mine just by stepping off in the bushes for a moment of relief.

Where I was, the predicted casualty count in a SHTF situation was forty five per cent, with five percent being gone on emergency leave or R&R. Three miles north the casualty count was figured at ninety five per cent. That weighed heavily on the minds of some of the guys, and they sometimes went off the deep end.

All in all, it was a pretty cool adventure.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1791 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments