Berry Bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Berry Bullets

MalumProhibitum
07-22-2010, 19:36
Is there anything wrong with Berry bullets for reloading 10mm plinking ammo? They sure are cheap.

Taterhead
07-22-2010, 20:03
I have shot thousands of them in my G20. I like them. I shoot the 180 gr FP DS for IDPA matches @ 1025-1050 fps. I'll buy another 1000 when this box is finished.

Couple of observations though. They can keyhole if pushed too fast. For me that means > 1150 fps. Also, give a generous bell and just enough crimp to barely remove that bell. I recommend separate steps for seating/crimping. Seat them to 1.26." That plating is soft. The object is to disrupt that plating as little as possible during the seating process.

You may consider going with the heavier weights. That way you can get some semblance of energies at the velocities for which these are designed.

Treat them like cast lead for load data purposes. FMJ data is ok, but back off 10%.

MalumProhibitum
07-23-2010, 07:04
Treat them like cast lead for load data purposes. FMJ data is ok, but back off 10%. Is the plating good enough to shoot from an octagonal barrel, or should I treat it like cast lead for that purpose, too?

Taterhead
07-23-2010, 17:49
Is the plating good enough to shoot from an octagonal barrel, or should I treat it like cast lead for that purpose, too?

I am no expert on barrels, but I shoot mine through a stock Gen 3 G20 barrel without issues. I don't think barrel type is a problem.

The point about treating it like cast lead is that, since it has thin plating, it will have pressure behaviors more like cast lead than jacketed bullets. Jacketed bullets will usually have comparatively lower pressures for a given charge. That is why load data for jacketed bullets must be backed off by 10%.

Accurate Powder has load data for Rainier bullets. They are also plated. So that may be a good starting point for recipes if you use any of Accurate's powders. I have used A7 under a 180 gr FP DS bullet in .40 S&W (XD-40 subbie). I used Accurate's load data for that with good success.

In case you are interested, my standard 10mm load is as follows:

Case: various
Powder: 9.2 gr Blue Dot
Primer: usually CCI 300 (have used Mag Tech and WLP)
Bullet: BRY 180 gr FP DS plated
COL: 1.26
Crimp: just barely enough to remove the bell
Velocity: 1025-1050

I get quite a long case life with this load.

MalumProhibitum
07-24-2010, 07:08
Thank you for the information, Taterhead.

DWARREN123
07-24-2010, 07:28
I have used them in the 40 S&W (10mm Short) and they worked well. Do not over speed them and you should have no problem. I have run them close to 1150 FPS with no problem.
They have not left any residue in my barrels. I use them in Glocks, 22 & 23.

MalumProhibitum
07-24-2010, 07:39
I have used them in the 40 S&W (10mm Short) and they worked well. Do not over speed them and you should have no problem. I have run them close to 1150 FPS with no problem.
They have not left any residue in my barrels. I use them in Glocks, 22 & 23. My thought is to get the lighter bullets and load it to whatever the minimum speed is for steel plates (with a margin for safety) and have cheap, reliable plinking ammo that will not foul the barrel (jacketed ammo) and will save me money having fun at steel plate competitions and general backyard can shooting.

I won't be using them for hunting, self defense, or tinkering with maximum velocity loads. I also will not use them for serious training.

It sounds like they will make good bullets for plinking rounds.

gator378
07-25-2010, 11:52
Is there anything wrong with Berry bullets for reloading 10mm plinking ammo? They sure are cheap.

I use the 200 grainers, and also use Rainers in 200 grain. No problems and good accuracy. I load them near max with AA#9

MalumProhibitum
10-01-2010, 08:56
Couple of observations though. They can keyhole if pushed too fast. For me that means > 1150 fps. Yeah, this happened to me Saturday. I can't say you did not warn me.

Without a chronograph, it is hard to tell how fast they are going.

I guess I need to buy one . . .

gator378
10-20-2010, 17:56
I have shot thousands of them in my G20. I like them. I shoot the 180 gr FP DS for IDPA matches @ 1025-1050 fps. I'll buy another 1000 when this box is finished.

Couple of observations though. They can keyhole if pushed too fast. For me that means > 1150 fps. Also, give a generous bell and just enough crimp to barely remove that bell. I recommend separate steps for seating/crimping. Seat them to 1.26." That plating is soft. The object is to disrupt that plating as little as possible during the seating process.

You may consider going with the heavier weights. That way you can get some semblance of energies at the velocities for which these are designed.

Treat them like cast lead for load data purposes. FMJ data is ok, but back off 10%.

I am very happy with them and I load them fairly hot in a Bartso barrel. No problems. Never had a keyhole yet

HAMMERHEAD
10-24-2010, 13:08
Berry's has a new thick plated .400" 165 grain for the 10mm.

Taterhead
10-24-2010, 14:19
Yeah, this happened to me Saturday. I can't say you did not warn me.

Without a chronograph, it is hard to tell how fast they are going.

I guess I need to buy one . . .

Curious about what type of load you were running here. Also, too much crimp can have the same effect.

AJE
11-17-2010, 17:45
I haven't found any that work out to be less than Precision Delta's FMJ bullets.

PD's prices has just gone up though... where are the best prices for Berrys?

xdmikey
11-23-2010, 15:08
when i was buying berrys i bought through cabelas since they have flat rate shipping.
once i placed a bulk order w/berrys. they charged a lead surcharge that blew their free shipping. like i said: once.
i'm still loading off of my last cabelas order but thought about PD or plain lead.
are PDs messy, like lead? need to be cleaned up after a couple of boxes!

turbo54
11-26-2010, 18:54
I've had excellent success with plated bullets in all of my glocks, which include a 20, 29, 30 and 36.

In fact, I've pushed the Berry's 180gr bullet to 1400 (plus/minus) fps with 11.5gr blue dot powder(G20), and I didn't have any keyholeing. I've never had any kind of barrel fouling issues either.

Also, my "plinking" load for my Smith 500 is 18gr Titegroup with a 350gr berry's plated RS bullet, and that load does right around 1600fps with no fouling issues. One note on the Berrys with a revolver:

Sometimes the forcing cone of the barrel will "scrape off" some of the plating, and leave chunks of copper on the barrel entrance.

xdmikey
11-26-2010, 19:20
although i've been very happy with berrys i'm going to try out precision bullets(aka the black bullet)in my ongoing search for cheaper components.

does anyone have any experience w/these?

tia

rexbo
11-28-2010, 16:31
I have been working with a box of the round 155gr Berry's.

At first, all I had was longshot. Big nube mistake :embarassed:, I should have looked at berry's website first. Over 1200 fps they where making 2 holes for the price of one. (separating) I downloaded the longshot to where this stopped, but then it was getting dirty (not enough powder for a full burn).

I switched to VV N340, 6.5 grs, light taper crimp, 1.25 OAL. CCI #350 mag primers. Starline cases.

I will be taking a tactical pistol course this weekend, so I will be going through about 1k of these. I'll report back later, but the first 100 turned out really mild and accurate.

X

srt-4_jon
11-29-2010, 03:34
I haven't found any that work out to be less than Precision Delta's FMJ bullets.

PD's prices has just gone up though... where are the best prices for Berrys?
Powder Valley sells Berry's for cheap

Burien
12-02-2010, 15:53
Anyone ever take a drill bit to a Berrys 180gn HP and cut out the plated inside of the hollow point? Wonder how it expands.....

AJE
12-02-2010, 18:04
Powder Valley sells Berry's for cheap

I just put in an order for powder and primers from there.

PD's prices are with shipping (after you put in your zip code). I wonder if PV can give you a shipping estimate through email.

I'd gladly buy from them if they are close to the price with shipping.