Winchester 9mm Luger FMJ 115GR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 9mm Luger FMJ 115GR

cangler
03-26-2010, 10:51
I apologize if this is a stupid question, I'm new to shooting. Anyways, I bought some Winchester 9mm Luger FMJ 115GR 100 round Value Pack's and I noticed on the brass, they read a number 10, instead of 9 like my other brand 9mm lugger ammo says and I'm just a bit confused. I compared the two, and they look pretty identical in size... so the "10" is throwing me off a bit. I'll get my coat...

Merkavaboy
03-26-2010, 14:50
Can you post a pic of what you're talking about? If not can you tell us exactly what the headstamp reads (from top to bottom)?

cangler
03-26-2010, 15:01
I would probably have trouble taking a photo where you can actaully read it, but on the headstamp (around the primer), there are three markings in equal surroundings of the primer. WCC, 10, and a symbol that looks like a circle with four dots in the middle. I just thought it was strange that it says 10 instead of 9 even thou the box says 9mm luger. Let me know if you need anymore details.

IndyGunFreak
03-26-2010, 15:09
I would probably have trouble taking a photo where you can actaully read it, but on the headstamp (around the primer), there are three markings in equal surroundings of the primer. WCC, 10, and a symbol that looks like a circle with four dots in the middle. I just thought it was strange that it says 10 instead of 9 even thou the box says 9mm luger. Let me know if you need anymore details.

Where did you buy this ammo? At a gun show by chance?

IGF

banger
03-26-2010, 16:22

What you have is a military style casing (VERY common) with Winchester White Box ammo.

WCC 10, indicates Winchester Cartridge Corp, with the "10" being the last two digit's of the year of manufacture, IE 2010.

NOTE: I have frequently seen people report that the WCC stands for "Western Cartridge Corp", however, I have always know it to be "Winchester".

BTW, even if I am wrong, "Western" is a division of Winchester.

The cross in the circle marking indicates that the casing was intended for military production as this is the symbol of NATO spec. ammo.

THIS CAN NOT BE though, as NATO does not use 115 grain projectiles in it 9mm cartridges. NATO spec, is limited to 124 grain bullets ONLY, with ball ammo.

Merkavaboy
03-26-2010, 16:39
What you have is a military style casing (VERY common) with Winchester White Box ammo.

WCC 10, indicates Winchester Cartridge Corp, with the "10" being the last two digit's of the year of manufacture, IE 2010.

NOTE: I have frequently seen people report that the WCC stands for "Western Cartridge Corp", however, I have always know it to be "Winchester".

BTW, even if I am wrong, "Western" is a division of Winchester.

The cross in the circle marking indicates that the casing was intended for military production as this is the symbol of NATO spec. ammo.

THIS CAN NOT BE though, as NATO does not use 115 grain projectiles in it 9mm cartridges. NATO spec, is limited to 124 grain bullets ONLY, with ball ammo.

There you go cangler.

Basically Winchester is using 2010 made NATO stamped cases for their USA brand economy brand ammo. Win is well known for using surplus NATO marked cases for their USA line of ammo.

IndyGunFreak
03-26-2010, 17:39

I was scrounging through all my 9mm white box(most of it is at least a year old, if not older)... and none of them are marked like that. I reload my practice ammo, but have a bunch of WWB for brass, and shoot them off as my brass supplies dwindle...

So did Winchester just buy some surplus NATO brass? My first thought was he unknowingly bought some reloads at a gun show(I've saw unscrupulous sellers put reloads in value pack boxes)

IGF

banger
03-26-2010, 17:46
I was scrounging through all my 9mm white box(most of it is at least a year old, if not older)... and none of them are marked like that. I reload my practice ammo, but have a bunch of WWB for brass, and shoot them off as my brass supplies dwindle...

So did Winchester just buy some surplus NATO brass? My first thought was he unknowingly bought some reloads at a gun show(I've saw unscrupulous sellers put reloads in value pack boxes)

IGF

Winchester does not buy NATO brass....They make it!!!!

Merkavaboy
03-26-2010, 18:03

+1

More than likely it's either an over-run of NATO brass or Win didn't want to shut down brass production to switch out the headstamp bunters to stamp the brass with their commercial headstamp.

IndyGunFreak
03-26-2010, 18:10

Now I understand, that makes sense...

Butch
03-26-2010, 21:23
:thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Ammo%20pics/Natoball.jpg

<TABLE border=1 cellPadding=5 width="65%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>WCC</TD><TD>Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>WESTERN</TD><TD>Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>WIN</TD><TD>Olin Corp., East Alton, IL 62024, USA</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>WINCHESTER</TD><TD>Olin Corp., East Alton IL 62024, USA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

banger
03-27-2010, 07:00
:thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Ammo%20pics/Natoball.jpg

<TABLE border=1 cellPadding=5 width="65%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>WCC</TD><TD>Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>WESTERN</TD><TD>Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>WIN</TD><TD>Olin Corp., East Alton, IL 62024, USA</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>WINCHESTER</TD><TD>Olin Corp., East Alton IL 62024, USA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Western it is...

cangler
03-27-2010, 18:58
Well that clears that up, thanks guys! I just wanted to be sure I was using proper size in my glock 19, now I know it's fine.

glocksterr
03-28-2010, 06:41
hee,hee,

save that brass!

:)

Ima19man
03-28-2010, 15:13
Great! Now I have to go check all 800 rounds of my WWB to see if I have any NATO brass. Theoretically NATO brass can hold more pressure than a normal WWB powder charge correct? So in theory you could reload the NATO brass to higher pressures correct? Just a thought.

tman2007sc
03-29-2010, 19:25
Thats all I ever shoot for practice.

texas_rifle
03-29-2010, 21:58
I just happen to have one box left from my WWB stash and as you see from the price and date on the box it was bought right when the good ol ammo days were beginning to end.

As you can see with the pics this ammo has a 06 stamped so made in 2006 i guess and bought at my local academy in march of 2007.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/shsu100/IMG_0237.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/shsu100/IMG_0233.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/shsu100/IMG_0236.jpg

sorry if the pics are not 100% clear best i could get my camera to do tonight for some reason.