Recipe for Berry's 124 gr. 9mm and Bullseye [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for Berry's 124 gr. 9mm and Bullseye

coyote 30
01-28-2010, 14:43
I am looking for a recipe for Bullseye powder and 124 grain Berry's copper plated bullets.
On the Alliant powder web site it has a recipe for 4.4 grains of Bullseye and a 124 grain gold dot HP bullet. Is this a max load?

Also should I use FMJ load data with these Berry's copper plated bullets?
I am looking to load light but still make minor power factor of 125. This load will be for USPSA and GSSF shooting.

Any insight would be appreciated.

coyote 30
01-29-2010, 11:46
WOW, nobody loads Bullseye and Berry bullets in 9mm?

G-30Jet
01-29-2010, 12:07
A good load is what works for you. Remember that 9mm and 9mm +P brass are exactly the same. This means that the brass can be loaded to +P pressures safely. The reason for the +P markings on the case head is for segregation purposes only.

Normally, the hollow point bullet powder max is a little lower than for the ball load data.
Berry's bullets are soft when compared to jacketed, but pushing then too fast will cause eratic shots.

Obviously, you still have to exercise caution when loading powder over maximum stated in a manual. Bullseye is one of the fastest burning pistol powders available. There are a few better choices out there for powder to get better terminal performance if you wish.

Look for a powder that has a wide margin of load weights and try one of those. One of the most important things to consider is making the weapon function on every shot. dont worry so much about the lightest load to make factor. Be sure it works your gun always.

coyote 30
01-29-2010, 12:24
A good load is what works for you. Remember that 9mm and 9mm +P brass are exactly the same. This means that the brass can be loaded to +P pressures safely. The reason for the +P markings on the case head is for segregation purposes only.

Normally, the hollow point bullet powder max is a little lower than for the ball load data.
Berry's bullets are soft when compared to jacketed, but pushing then too fast will cause eratic shots.

Obviously, you still have to exercise caution when loading powder over maximum stated in a manual. Bullseye is one of the fastest burning pistol powders available. There are a few better choices out there for powder to get better terminal performance if you wish.

Look for a powder that has a wide margin of load weights and try one of those. One of the most important things to consider is making the weapon function on every shot. dont worry so much about the lightest load to make factor. Be sure it works your gun always.

Thanks for the info....I will use it.

dudel
01-29-2010, 15:50
WOW, nobody loads Bullseye and Berry bullets in 9mm?

Yep, in both Berry's 124gr and 115gr. Both Glocks love that load. Very economical with Bullseye. Lots and lots of loads from 7000 grains.

A very nice target load.

IndyGunFreak
01-29-2010, 17:30
I am looking for a recipe for Bullseye powder and 124 grain Berry's copper plated bullets.
On the Alliant powder web site it has a recipe for 4.4 grains of Bullseye and a 124 grain gold dot HP bullet. Is this a max load?

Also should I use FMJ load data with these Berry's copper plated bullets?
I am looking to load light but still make minor power factor of 125. This load will be for USPSA and GSSF shooting.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Did you read anything before you bought this stuff? Most of what you've asked is 1. Listed in a reloading manual, and probably the powder manufacturers website and 2. Listed on Berry's site. I'm not hunting down load data for you, so I'll just reprint part of Berry's FAQ.

Berrys' FAQ:
How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

How fast can I shoot these bullets?

Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.

Chuckc
01-29-2010, 18:05
I have had good performance with my G-19 using 4.2 gr of bullseye behind a 124 gr plated bullet. MV chrono's ~1033 ft/sec. depending on temp. Fairly accurate. Presently I see no difference between Federal primers, PMC "Green" and Wolf orange box.
I do however have problems using the Wolf primers and Unique in my 40 S&W (G-23). Don't seem to shoot worth a $#!t with the Unique and Wolf primers.
YMMV.

jaybirdjtt
01-29-2010, 19:16
I find 4.5 grains works well with the 124 grn Berry's. No leading problems and I think the MV is about 1050 fps....just a guess. I started with 4.1 then 4.2 but had some FTEs. Kept bumping and 4.5 does the job. Cases were a mixture. No signs of excessive pressure in my G26. Excuse me....my wife's G26.
Typically, I will load 5 rounds, head to the garage where I have a pine log, about 30" in diameter set up. My principle concern for target loads is proper cycling and when I work the load up, looking for signs of excessive pressure.
Bullseye is one of my favorite pistol powders along with Unique. I will load up 2.8 grains of Bullseye with 148 grn LWCs for the 38 Special. Range loads for the Colt Python.

redstar
01-29-2010, 23:00
I am new to the site, but not reloading. My magic recipe for Berry's 124 plated is CCI primer, federal brass, hornady dies, and 4.0 or 4.2 grains of Bullseye. Only problem with Bullseye is there is little margin for error. I have found that 3.8gr (or less) of powder does not cycle properly, and 4.6 or more and you are in the +P range, which is not good for plated bullets. My chrono with 4.2 gr. is 1020 out of a Sig 226.